Bell Canada’s Business Market Group (BBM) is headquartered in Montreal, with offices in Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City, Edmonton and Calgary. BBM is in charge of delivering scalable, integrated, end-to-end solutions to the largest organizations in Canada including government, healthcare, financial, manufacturing, utilities, transportation, and retail industries.
The BBM Staffing Office is in charge of sourcing of talent attraction for contractual resources for the delivery of BBM solutions.
The candidate will be undertaking Support and maintenance of the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), the CAD Workstation and the mobile and communications portions of the core BellCAD technology with a focus on the system’s Oracle databases. The individual will work as part of a professional team with peer mentoring and a focus on skill and knowledge development. Candidate must have no impediments to obtaining a minimum Enhanced Reliability clearance from the RCMP to work on Police systems related to the position, and to work in restricted access areas related to the position.
The candidate requires a basic knowledge of databases, SQL, and an understanding of backup procedures based on experience or training. Previous experience as an Oracle DBA would be considered an asset but is not mandatory as on the job training and mentoring will be provided as required. The candidate must be highly motivated to work in a challenging environment in the field of Public Safety.
Security Clearance: Enhanced
The following candidates with a desire to focus on Oracle Database Administration may be considered:
Developers with SQL programming experience.
SQL Server / DB2 / Postgres / MySQL / Sybase SQL Administrators with at least 1 year experience.
Windows Administrators with database experience.
Recent College Graduates or equivalent with database experience.
All in-office work is performed from the Ottawa Business Unit location at 65 Iber Rd, Stittsville.
The candidate will work under the guidance of a Senior DBA maintaining, monitoring and managing production and non production Oracle databases to maximize uptime, provide optimal performance and ensure redundant backup of data.
The candidate will work as part of a team to provide service to our customers on a 24/7 basis. The Junior DBA position will provide the candidate with opportunities to share in the following responsibilities:
- Create and maintain Oracle databases required for development, testing, and production usage.
- Ongoing support and administration of operational databases.
- Installation, configuration and upgrading of Oracle server software and related products.
- Evaluate Oracle features and Oracle related products.
- Implement and maintain database security (create and maintain users and roles, assign privileges).
- Database planning for growth and changes (capacity planning).
- Work as part of a team and provide 7x24 support when required.
- Interface with Oracle Corporation for technical support.
- Perform Oracle Patch Management.
- Provide a strategic database direction for the organization
- Good knowledge of Oracle backup and recovery scenarios
- Performing Database recovery operations when necessary.
- Performs database re-organisations as required to assist performance and ensure maximum uptime of the database.
- Perform code migration, database change management and data management through the various stages of the software development life cycle.
- Writing and debugging SQL
- Establish and maintain sound backup and recovery policies and procedures
- Interface with the development team to establish proper database design and implementation procedures.
- Perform database tuning and performance monitoring
- Perform application tuning and performance monitoring
- Setup and maintain database documentation and standards
- Perform general technical trouble shooting and give consultation to development/support teams
- Create database objects (tables, indexes, etc.)
- Write and debug database procedures, functions and triggers
- Assist developers with database activities
- Tune database queries
- Monitor application related jobs and data replication activities
- Generate ad hoc reports based on customer requests
- Assists with impact analysis of any changes made to the database objects.
- Other tasks as assigned.
The following experience would be an asset
- Experience with SQL Developer or T.O.A.D
- Experience with Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN)
- Experience with Oracle Failsafe
- Experience with Oracle DataGuard
- Experience with Oracle 11g R2
- Experience Administering Databases using Enterprise Manager (EM)
- Experience with Oracle running in a Virtual Machine
- Development Experience with any of the following: Visual Basic, PowerBuilder, C, C++, Java, Ruby
- Experience with various RDBMS (SQL Server, SQL, DB2, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite)
Senior Resource Manager
Bell Business Markets/Professional Services (CRMO)